Big Bend Community Land Trust
ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION
The name of this corporation is Big Bend Community Land Trust, Inc.
1. This corporation is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and is not organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law of California for public and charitable purposes.
2. The specific public and charitable purposes of this corporation are:
(Original Articles of Incorporation were Amended by the BBCLT Board of Directors and the Amended Articles were filed with the Sate on 11 February 2013, as follows (original articles are shown below the Amended Articles, with strike-out line)
BBCLT (Amended in 2013) Articles of Incorporation:
a) To promote and provide education of the public regarding permaculture, sustainable agricultural practices, nutrition, culinary arts and alternative forms of building and social organization.
b) To acquire and steward property in the Madesi Valley for the demonstration of permaculture principles and for the educational purposes of the corporation.
c) To relieve conditions of poverty, dependence, chronic unemployment and underemployment, and the reduction of community tensions in economically depressed communities in Madesi Valley.
d) To acquire and steward property in the Madesi Valley to permanently preserve land for public uses, for outdoor recreation, as open space for the enjoyment of the public, or for protection of natural ecosystems.
*Filed Articles Amendment page scan available- click here.
Original Articles of Incorporation
(now amended, as shown above):
(a) To promote and provide education of the public regarding permacutlure, sustainable agricultural practices, nutrition, culinary arts and alternative forms of social organization. (b) To acquire and steward property in the Madesi Valley for the demonstration of permaculture principles and for the educational purposes of the corporation; (c) To acquire and steward property in the Madesi Valley to combat community deterioration, promote job skills and worker training, and to improve the economic, educational, cultural, environmental and social condition of residents of the Madesi Valley. (d) To acquire and steward property in the Madesi Valley to permanently preserve land for public uses, sustainable agriculture, ecological restoration and ecological conservation. (e) To promote and provide access to nutritious, locally produced, sustainable farmed food to residents of the Madesi Valley.
The name and address in the State of California of this corporation’s initial agent for service of process is Joshua Chambers, 24973 Big Bend Road, Big Bend, CA 96011.
1. This corporation is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (the “Code”).
2. Not withstanding any other provision of these Articles, the corporation shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (1) by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Code or (2) by a corporation contributions to which are deductible under Section 170(c)(2) of the Code.
3. No substantial part of the activities of this corporation shall consist of carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the corporation shall not participate or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office as defined for purposes of Section 501(c)(3) of the Code.
The property of this corporation is irrevocably dedicated to charitable purposes and no part of the net income or assets of the organization shall ever inure to the benefit of any director, officer or member thereof or to the benefit of any private person. On the dissolution or winding up of the corporation, its assets remaining after payment of, or provision for payment of, all debts and liabilities of this corporation, shall be distributed to a nonprofit fund, foundation, or corporation which is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes and which has established its tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Code.